• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

Taking the knee booed at Millwall

Taking the knee to me is a sign of weakness, bowing to a higher power/master. It just symbolises slavery like wearing a mask with covid.

Swanseafan said:
Does anyone know why one black derby player did not take the knee? He stood up giving the black power salute.

You've just answered your own question

Dobbie said:
Manselton Jack said:
The point has been made & it probably is time to stop it but anyone booing it is a bit of a moron.
Millwall fans would have been well aware of the players statement.

I agree with the points you make about the booing and Millwall players statement but the time the point doesn’t need to be made anymore is when the racism is seriously tackled.

Online racism directed towards Black footballers in this country is a serious issue. If footballers feel they need to keep reminding football fans of this then I agree with them making a point before games in whichever way they choose. If online racism persists why should players stop protesting?

Those posters of a right wing persuasion should try looking past their hatred of the BLM movement and try considering the online abuse that Black footballers receive. A bit of perspective may go a long way.

The social media companies are doing little about the issue; they don’t perceive adding monkey and banana emojis to abusive posts to Black footballers to be racist. Based on that they probably wouldn’t have considered monkey chants or throwing bananas at Black players to be racist either.

should footballers put up with this abuse in silence or should they be allowed to make a point that racism is not acceptable?

I think the campaign does need freshening up to get the message home to some people, but still needs co-ordination to avoid dilution. However that’s easy for me to say as I’m not the one receiving the racist abuse.

Yes, I absolutely agree that racism needs to be tackled.
I didn't mean that we should just stop taking the knee & think that's it but the time has come to move on with the campaign - the impact has now gone.
I agree that social media platforms could do way more to stop all sorts of appalling stuff but they only care about user numbers & revenue unfortunately. Anonymous keyboard warriors spreading hate in all forms doesn't seem to bother them.

realswan said:
Taking the knee to me is a sign of weakness, bowing to a higher power/master. It just symbolises slavery like wearing a mask with covid.

You're entitled to your opinion, but the many, many people whose ancestors were actually slaves and are happy to take a knee would presumably disagree with you.

:lol:
realswan said:
:lol: :lol: :lol: Have you tried having treatment

mart6 said:
:lol:
realswan said:
:lol: :lol: :lol: Have you tried having treatment

You cant cure stupid.

Jackrabbit said:
Darran said:
That’s not what the Millwall players were taking the knee for though that’s why they put out a statement on Friday.

https://www.millwallfc.co.uk/news/2020/december/first-team-squad-release-statement/
That’s fine, and a very reasonable and credible explanation, but unfortunately ‘taking-the-knee’ is, and forever will be, inextricably linked to the BLM movement.

Which is exactly why it's so divisive now. I don't recall the 'kick it out' campaign ever receiving so much hostility. Why? Because the message was clear. It was just about anti-racism. Nothing else. People were on board with that. Taking the knee will always be linked to the BLM organisation. You can argue that it means more than that, but that will always be open to debate.

Coventry City v Swansea City

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Back