• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

Our support…

Feel free to point out what I've misunderstood. You've literally said you'd return if we improved but don't go currently because we aren't doing well.
Literally I didn't say that. Not gonna bandy words with you pal, cos you'll do my fckn swede in, and frankly when some on here have stated some of our fans are thick tw@ts, not difficult to see what they mean.

It is a sad state of affairs that the club now is basically back in the same position (or maybe slightly worse) as we were when we got promoted to this division, especially attendance wise. You'd have hoped that playing at this level since 2008 (and this level is absolutely no disgrace for us considering our history), played in the Premier league for so long, won a major trophy and had a European campaign would have tied in a lot more people than it has. That would you'd hope make up for a shortfall in more jaded fans, cost of living crisis etc.

I know the owners aren't the best, and we as a fanbase and trust should never get complacent over ownership but the employees on the ground and vast majority of players do deserve the city and local area's support.

Bigger picture, we've been back in the Championship 6 seasons, in which we've had 1 play off final, 1 play off semi, that great season of football under Potter, a season where we missed out on play offs with a game to go as well as seasons that included the double double.

There are signs that things are going in the right direction under Williams.

Just wish more of the South Wales population could see this.
Swansea was the first proper football City I lived in, during the heady days of Tosh's Swans take off. Swansea are a great club where only scoring too few goals is a problem. The Jacks are warm cockles in the heart, and recently the wonderful staff, and especially Disabled Steward Jeff Wood, and other volunteers at Liberty are of the very best quality

Literally I didn't say that. Not gonna bandy words with you pal, cos you'll do my fckn swede in, and frankly when some on here have stated some of our fans are thick tw@ts, not difficult to see what they mean.

Well you did say I asked a stupid question when I asked you if you'd return if we improved despite having the same owners.

Best you leave it there if this situation rattles you so much. You've made your decision to stay away and you'll have to miss out. If we ever do get better I don't think you'll appreciate as much as the 12k/13k who did keep their nerve and attended during the 'bland period'.

I gave up my season ticket two years ago after the best part of 35 years. I’d basically stopped enjoying it. Covid got me out of the habit but even before then it had become a chore. I still go to games but now I choose which ones and frankly there hasn’t been much joy in watching Swansea for some years now. Even if by some miracle we got back to the premier league I wouldn’t go back every week. In those circumstances we’d just be another yo-yo club like Norwich or West Brom, and I don’t see much fun in that either. After years of being shit Swansea City peaked in the first few premier league years. After that we became another lower level prem club, trying not to get hammered every week until the inevitable happened. The fact that we’ve employed a succession of grindingly boring, stats obsessed coaches to run the show for the past few years hasn’t helped either.

Norwich's home support didn't drop below 25k for a single game last season other than when they played Bristol Rovers in the third round of the cup (and even then they got just shy of 20k). Not when the match was on TV. Not when they dropped to 17th place. Not even when it rained. Proper footballing city. Population of 150k compared to our 250k, and plenty of other things to do. What do we have? The LC2 and the Gower on the rare days when it doesn't rain. Funnily enough I was talking to two Swansea lads at the last away game in Norwich in the Compleat Angler before the match. One of them said 'Thank God we have the Gower because otherwise we'd be Newport'.

Well you did say I asked a stupid question when I asked you if you'd return if we improved despite having the same owners.

Best you leave it there if this situation rattles you so much. You've made your decision to stay away and you'll have to miss out. If we ever do get better I don't think you'll appreciate as much as the 12k/13k who did keep their nerve and attended during the 'bland period'.
As I was one of the 3/4 k that was around at the vetch, I've appreciated way more than you ever will. But thanks for your concern.

You can't market a shit product mate.

Get the product right first, and the marketing will virtually take care of itself.

At the moment, let's be honest, what are we marketing?

"Come and see this consistently lower mid-table second tier club, who more often than not play dull walking pace football, we'll charge you an arm and a leg if you're not a STH, and the owners are as tight as a duck's arse, utterly clueless about the sport they bought into, and proactively destroyed the Supporters Trust".

Even Saatchi and Saatchi wouldn't go near that one.

The only thing there I'll quibble with is 'charge you an arm and a leg if you're not a STH'.

I gave up my season after the Yanks took over the club (partly a protest, but more because my old man was done with going) and have mostly only been back for the odd Carabao game since in attempts to get my son interested. If he was hooked on going, I'd have season tickets again.

I've been down there for Preston and Norwich this season, buying 1 adult ticket, 1 under-18 and 1 under-12. Was a total of £40 for each game. I think that's pretty good value these days.

Norwich's home support didn't drop below 25k for a single game last season other than when they played Bristol Rovers in the third round of the cup (and even then they got just shy of 20k). Not when the match was on TV. Not when they dropped to 17th place. Not even when it rained. Proper footballing city. Population of 150k compared to our 250k, and plenty of other things to do. What do we have? The LC2 and the Gower on the rare days when it doesn't rain. Funnily enough I was talking to two Swansea lads at the last away game in Norwich in the Compleat Angler before the match. One of them said 'Thank God we have the Gower because otherwise we'd be Newport'.

Norwich's support has been consistently excellent for years, no doubt. I would argue with the notion that there's plenty of other things to do in Norwich than Swansea. I'm no Norwich expert but others on this thread have experience of the area and say there's nothing to do. Suggesting that Swansea only has the LC2 and Gower is approaching Perch levels of nonsense about Swansea.

Also, as GowerJack isn't around to say it, it's Gower, not the Gower. ;)

I think a lot of the points made are fair. Another thought/input into the general economy trend would be movement. The vast majority of my mates (including myself) had season tickets for years and so did their siblings. The vast majority then went on to Uni and subsequently could not find jobs in their sectors in or near Swansea. I know of at least 20 people in that situation who then stream games and attend when they can.

The economy is not strong enough which doesn't provide enough opportunities for people who want to live/come home to do so. I think if general viewing figures were made available (yes a lot of people watch on the special sticks) then we would see far more comparable levels to other clubs mentioned here.

Norwich have the County of Norfolk at their disposal. I have a mate from Cromar and he said if they could sustain a top half prem side and higher capacity stadium they you could attract 40k for home games

Norwich have the County of Norfolk at their disposal. I have a mate from Cromar and he said if they could sustain a top half prem side and higher capacity stadium they you could attract 40k for home games
What’s our ceiling if we were doing well? Say a solid mid table prem side?
I’m guessing 20-24k?

What’s our ceiling if we were doing well? Say a solid mid table prem side?
I’m guessing 20-24k?
20k is about right for us.

Let's not forget, even when we were a really top team in our first couple of years in the PL, if there were any clashes or overlaps with the Six Nations matches you'd start to see pockets of empty seats appearing in the corners. I remember one game against Arsenal where we were only 1-0 down but the place emptied with 20 mins left because the rugby was kicking off at 4:45.

We're not the great catch we think we are - we're just not.

Coventry City v Swansea City

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Back