• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

The Official Planet Swans January 2021 Transfer Thread

Are you happy with our January transfer dealings?

• Yes

Votes: 14 93.3%
  • No

Votes: 1 6.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
eteb said:
morris done deal according to twitter

Cooper more or less confirmed

Interviewer: You’ve been linked to a player from Seattle, are you close to doing anything?

Cooper: I’d like to think so.

cardiff now expected to complete signing of perry ng from crewe - 350k. Got some money to spend havent they, must love Harris behind the scenes :')

Still need a midfielder in the MGW mould unless Cooper thinks Byers is the answer !

Morris should fit in but he is not a classic #9. He plays down the left for Seattle. Very fast, tough on the ball has a nose for goal. Probably more of a MGW replacement. If we could get a strong #10 and perhaps some center back depth we’d be in business

JacketJack said:
Morris should fit in but he is not a classic #9. He plays down the left for Seattle. Very fast, tough on the ball has a nose for goal. Probably more of a MGW replacement. If we could get a strong #10 and perhaps some center back depth we’d be in business

He can play across the front so he will touch wood be a player that can rotate with ayew and lowe.

JacketJack said:

Think we have more than enough cover at CB also considering Bidwell can play there !

Ringwood Jack said:
Still need a midfielder in the MGW mould unless Cooper thinks Byers is the answer !

Dhanda, Ayew and Routledge could also feature as a no.10, as could Lowe. Will be interesting to see how Morris works out if this is confirmed. Hourihane will be after game game time and so will Morris. It is a good challenge to have, if Byers is fit, he will benefit from our improvement this season.

Wilfried Bony: Ex-Man City and Swansea striker willing to play anywhere

Source: BBC Sport

Former Swansea City and Manchester City striker Wilfried Bony says he is willing to play anywhere in the world as he prepares to sign for a new club.

The Ivory Coast international is training with League Two Newport County after a spell in Saudi Arabia.

Bony, 32, would relish another opportunity in English football but is considering all options.

"My agent and staff, they are talking with Turkish sides, Chinese sides, Korean sides, in Russia also," he said.

"But I leave that to them. I just focus on my training, to get fit and get ready for when the moment comes for me to move."

Bony joined Manchester City from Swansea in a deal worth up to £28m in January 2015.

He earned a move to Etihad Stadium after scoring 34 goals in 70 Swans appearances, having joined the Welsh club from Dutch side Vitesse Arnhem for £12m in 2013.

But he struggled to hold down a regular first-team place at City, scoring 10 goals in 46 appearances before joining Stoke on loan and then returning to Swansea for £12m in 2017.

Bony was hampered by injury in his second spell at the Liberty Stadium, where he scored four times in 26 games.

He had a spell on loan at Qatari Al-Arabi in 2019, then joined Saudi Arabian side Al-Ittihad in January 2020 before cancelling his contract in November.

Bony then returned to his family home in Swansea - his two sons are in the academy at his old club - and began training last week with Newport, where he also had a lengthy spell last year.

"I tried to train with Swansea and it was quite difficult with the first team," Bony said.

"Then the academy boss tried to find a place for me to train with the under-23s but it took a long time because of coronavirus, all of these things.

"Then I decided to go to train with Newport. My friend is there - the coach [Mike] Flynn. We have a great relationship so when I asked him he said: 'Yeah, come.'

"They help me a lot - the same as last year. I say thanks to them."

Bony says there is no chance of him signing for Newport, but he would be interested in signing for a club higher up the English ladder.

"Yeah, why not? We listen to everything and then we see what is the best option for us," he said.

"If it is here or if it is abroad, I am going to be happy. I am happy to be in a team, to train and to enjoy it."

Bony believes he can go on playing professionally for another "three to four years".

"We have to be grateful every time we are on the pitch. It's a privilege so I have to enjoy every minute I have got," he said.

Bony played - and scored twice - for Ivory Coast at the 2014 World Cup and was also part of the side that won the 2015 Africa Cup of Nations.

He has not played for his country since the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations but is open to a return to international football.

"The team's doing well - they have got some experienced players to guide them," Bony said.

"I am open if the coach needs me. I speak to the coach. He wants me to get back playing because he knows me - we won the cup together in 2015.

"He knows what I can give to the team. For me, the most important thing is to find a team, to get back on track and enjoy my football."

Bony is in contact with fellow Ivory Coast international Sol Bamba, who revealed last week he has been diagnosed with Non-Hodgkin lymphoma.

"It's very sad news but I know him. He is a strong guy," said Bony.

"I just thank god they discovered it soon so he has got a chance. I know he is going to beat it. We pray for him."

_116554822_gettyimages-502500990.jpg

Why would Jordan Morris go on loan to Swansea?

Source: SBNation

It is looking increasingly likely that Jordan Morris will soon join Swansea City of the English Championship on a six-month loan, a move that will probably be made official next week.

There’s a lot to unpack here, so let’s get to it:

The Championship? Really?

I’ll be the first to admit that I was surprised to hear this was even a possibility. Going to Wales to face teams like Rotherham United and Wycombe Wanderers — no offense, lads! — probably isn’t the future we all envisioned for Morris if and when he finally left his hometown team. But it makes more sense if you look at the bigger picture.

What’s the bigger picture?

There are two major factors to keep in mind: 1. Swansea is currently in position to gain promotion to the Premier League; 2. It’s a six-month loan. In other words, this is effectively an extended trial. If Morris plays well, it sets up a bigger move. Maybe that’s moving up alongside Swansea, maybe it’s somewhere else. Either way, I don’t think there’s much chance of Morris sticking around to play in the Championship next season.

Yeah, but weren’t bigger teams interested?

At least one report suggested teams like Bayer Leverkusen and Wolfsburg of the Bundesliga and Serie A’s Fiorentina had pursued Morris. I have no idea how aggressive their attempts were or whether they wanted full transfers, but there’s at least some logic to choosing Swansea. While Morris would have needed to fight for playing time at any top-flight destination, he’s likely to get plenty of minutes in Swansea’s 3-5-2. Not only that, but the level of competition shouldn’t be too big of a step up — again, no offense to Rotherham and Wycombe fans! If Morris can get 20 appearances — Swansea will play 23-27 games between now and the end of the season — it’s not at all hard to imagine him scoring 8-10 goals and suddenly looking a lot more attractive to potential suitors.

What then?

If Morris plays well, the hope is some team with be willing to pay the Sounders something like $5-$7 million for his rights. Either Swansea will makes it a permanent transfer or a bigger team will swoop in with an offer that is more likely to come with closer-to-guaranteed playing time.

Is there a chance he comes back between the loan and a permanent transfer?

That seems extremely unlikely. Morris will have just finished playing a pretty heavy schedule and European preseasons usually start up in early July. Not only that, but Concacaf is still planning to play the Gold Cup from July 10-Aug 1. It’s hard to imagine Morris skipping his offseason just so he can play a few more games with the Sounders, risking injury along the way.

So that’s it then?

All of this is predicated on the assumption that Morris plays well enough that he convinces someone in Europe to meet the Sounders’ valuation. It’s obviously possible that he doesn’t play well or just decides he’d rather spend his career in Seattle. In that scenario, he’d could be back as early as June. Even if he didn’t rejoin the Sounders until after the Gold Cup, he’d be back in plenty of time for the playoffs.

What’s in it for the Sounders?

There’s no real sugar-coating this: the Sounders don’t really stand to gain anything in the short term, aside from a relatively small amount of salary-cap space. On the high side, they can probably claw back something like $600,000 for a half-season worth of salary and allocation money. The best-case scenario is they’d have the ability to bring in a MLS veteran to temporarily plug the hole and then maybe make a splashier signing over the summer. But the chances of replacing Morris’ production player-for-player — especially considering he doesn’t occupy a Designated Player spot — are far-fetched, to say the least.

What about long term?

Let’s just assume someone is willing to pay $7 million for Morris’ full transfer. That’s more than the Sounders have collected from all their outgoing transfers in their history and is roughly equivalent to the most they’ve ever spent on an incoming player. In other words, that’s a significant amount of money that would presumably be re-invested. Even without an open DP spot, the Sounders could still put that toward bringing in a player or two under the “U-22 Player Initiative.” I wouldn’t expect that to bear much fruit this year, but it could leave them better off long term.

Beyond that, by accommodating Morris’ wishes, the Sounders send a clear signal they’re a dynamic member of the transfer ecosystem by being both a seller and a buyer. Currently, the only MLS teams who have both bought and sold players for at least $5 million are Atlanta United and the New York Red Bulls.

But why?!?!

Look, we should consider ourselves lucky to have enjoyed watching Morris for as long as we did. Since making his debut with a Rookie of the Year campaign in 2016, Morris has steadily improved various parts of his game and has become a bonafide star over the past couple seasons. Along the way, he’s helped lead the Sounders to four MLS Cup finals in five years, scored 41 goals and contributed in countless ways to the larger community. He’s accomplished just about everything we could have hoped for, and leaves the Sounders in a better place than when he signed. Let’s wish him well.

1290962438.0.jpg

Transfer News said:
Either way, I don’t think there’s much chance of Morris sticking around to play in the Championship next season.

If Morris can get 20 appearances — Swansea will play 23-27 games between now and the end of the season — it’s not at all hard to imagine him scoring 8-10 goals and suddenly looking a lot more attractive to potential suitors.

They clearly think he's far too good for us so will walk straight into the starting 11! And too good for the Championship!

The bit that was interesting was that Seattle hadnt made 7Mill. In total transfer incomings in their entire history

karnataka said:
They clearly think he's far too good for us so will walk straight into the starting 11! And too good for the Championship!

in fairness. if you read the comments beneath the article, that is not what people are saying at all....

most acknowledge the championship is a step up.... i wouldn't expect such balance ... championship does not get a great deal of exposure abroad

see the comments after this article ....

https://www.sounderatheart.com/sounders-trades-transfers-rumors/2021/1/15/22232950/swansea-city-jordan-morris-loan

the good news : not a single fan has anything negative to say about the man .... quite rare with an outgoing transfer ..... even a number of comments comparing him favorably with christian pulisic

time will tell with this one but i am very excited to see how it goes for him

Wonder if a pre-season friendly with Sounders is in any deal.

Coventry City v Swansea City

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Back