• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

Season 23/24 | WBA v The Swans | The Official Match Thread | EFL Championship | The Hawthorns

What will the result be against West Brom

• West Brom win

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Draw

Votes: 13 48.1%
  • Swans win

Votes: 9 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
That Arsenal lad looked good. Midfield looked better after he came on. Ginnelly too. Things should settle after transfer window closes. Who decided it would be a good idea for transfer window to close after season starts? Should close before season starts and reopen when it’s finished.

Mork said:
I still think we’ll be fine this year as long as we sort our midfield out. We have the players in the building, just not on the pitch.

It’s the defence that worries me. We were making stupid mistakes last year and look like we’ll continue to with these players. There’s not enough quality or experience back there.

Sounds like the afternoon I spent fighting with a bath panel (and mostly losing) was better than the originally planned alternative.

Right back settled and fed so here goes.

Least said about the first half the better. Most players were still on the M5 or playing with lead in their boots.

WBA were a strong running physical side and we had no answer. A very poor first half display.

Things didn't change much early in the second half, and they got their second again what seemed like the defence being asleep.

Things from that point did brighten slightly with us hitting the bar, but not getting anything from the resultant scramble.

Shows how a few minutes can change a game from being what could have been 2-1 we found ourselves 3-0 after the penalty.

Changes came and we certainly added some urgency into our game and deservedly pulled back to 3-2.

On another time another scramble could have found the net as well as a header just wide.

Overall hard to tell but a very frustrating game. We shouldn't have allowed WBA the dictate the first half, but they were just a powerful running side, without too much other tactics. That could work for them this season.

As far as us, we need a strong organizer in central defence, a player who can start off moves. Left back is also painfully apparent.

Without wanting to be critical of Ashby, he doesn't seem ready for a left back role in the championship (early days I know).

I can remember at least 3 occasions when he was available for an easy out ball, but the play was switched the other way. Do the defence have no belief in him?

An enjoyable 20 odd minutes but the rest can have the alarm bells ringing with plenty to work on. We had them on the ropes towards the end let's hope team selection gives us more of that.

Duff has come out in an interview with the club website and criticised the players in the first half for - and I quote - "keeping the ball for keeping the ball's sake".

Two things:

1. What game was he watching? Chance would be a fine thing, I didn't see us string two passes together in the opening 45.

2. Pretending for a minute that we did "keep the ball for the sake of keeping it". Why is that such a bad idea? In a tough away ground to go to, how is it not a good idea to keep hold of the ball for a bit and quieten the crowd down?

Strange comments, for me.

Andrew - North Hill said:
Duff has come out in an interview with the club website and criticised the players in the first half for - and I quote - "keeping the ball for keeping the ball's sake".

Two things:

1. What game was he watching? Chance would be a fine thing, I didn't see us string two passes together in the opening 45.

2. Pretending for a minute that we did "keep the ball for the sake of keeping it". Why is that such a bad idea? In a tough away ground to go to, how is it not a good idea to keep hold of the ball for a bit and quieten the crowd down?

12 years at Burnley must leave a mark.

Two things:

Oooh no, not good. Booting the ball into touch, too far up the pitch for no reason is more accurate. I’d expected better.

Two things:

Did he really say that?
He has to be careful here, he is walking a tight line even at this early stage, I am not talking losing his job but the atmosphere can change quickly especially if performances don't come quick.

The feel isnt sitting right here at the moment for me despite a good summer transfer window.

Two things:

I was going to post exactly the same. All I saw us do in the first half was give the ball away constantly and hit meaningless long balls to nobody.

Also, at one point I was going to post that Rushworth had obviously been given a bollocking last week for trying to play football because pretty much every time he was given the ball he just got rid to nowhere. But then in the second half he started actually giving it to people.

Duff's comments worry me.

mrploppy said:
I was going to post exactly the same. All I saw us do in the first half was give the ball away constantly and hit meaningless long balls to nobody.

Also, at one point I was going to post that Rushworth had obviously been given a bollocking last week for trying to play football because pretty much every time he was given the ball he just got rid to nowhere. But then in the second half he started actually giving it to people.

Duff's comments worry me.

We can only wait and see, but I’m starting to see why the players might be a little bit confused. What exactly is the strategic, never mind the tactical, gameplan?

Coventry City v Swansea City

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Back