• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

US Election results thread

monmouth said:
exiledclaseboy said:
I also had no idea that the word “cretin” was apparently used as a term of abuse against disabled people.

Nor me to be honest. I've used it rather freely as I thought it had been adopted into everyday use as a bog standard insult, just a far more pointed version of 'nutter', 'idiot' or 'loony'. I also say 'you're mental', or 'that's mental' when clearly meaning 'absurd'. Does it mean that 'that's insane' when talking about Brexit, say, or 'you're mad' when talking to a brexsit cretin, sorry, nutter, like Farrago is also out of bounds now?

Apparently 'cretin' has 2 specific meanings, one offensive and one medical. It says the medical meaning is dated so I assume the offensive one is current then

cretin
/ˈkrɛtɪn/

noun
OFFENSIVE
a stupid person (used as a general term of abuse).
DATED•MEDICINE
a person who is physically deformed and has learning difficulties because of congenital thyroid deficiency.

So it's ok after all? Jack 123, get the stella out. You're back in the game.

It’s strange how these things develop. When I was a child we called each other spastic all the time but that medical term became a big no no a long time ago.

monmouth said:
So it's ok after all? Jack 123, get the stella out. You're back in the game.

Thank you for the support!

Just opened a bottle of corona in celebration, and also to watch the man utd v liverpool game.

J_B said:
It’s strange how these things develop. When I was a child we called each other spastic all the time but that medical term became a big no no a long time ago.

So did we, until Mam told us that 'the lad that comes round asking for comics we don't want in that strange way is a spastic'. I always felt sorry for him as people laughed at him and mocked him, and I gave him any comics we had tried to defend him as much as a dwt with no muscle and a few boxing lessons could....so not a lot. I wonder what happened to him. I think it was Nigel he was called, though might be mixing him up with someone else. After that I never used the word again, even before it became a no no.

jack123 said:
PSumbler said:
I'm happy to test that theory given theres only one person that would apply a ban and I wouldnt. In the same way that I didnt ban you for calling someone a cretin.

With regards to that Phil use of the word cretin, I meant what I said at the time to prof, as far as I was concerned it was just a fancy word for being stupid, I have never heard of it being used to mock a disabled person, I would have never have used it, if I was aware of that meaning of it..

Anyway, I will try and keep out of the non football section from here on in, the football section is the place to be, especially the way we are playing..

Yes football section it is, goodbye non football

Prof taught me a new one with his report but when it has been reported I acted on it. I hope you realise I did that quietly (in the way I normally would) rather than making a big issue of it. We all learn lessons and new things and that was one for me

I wouldnt advocate you just posting on the non football board, you clearly have beliefs and views that you stick with - clearly at the same time they disagree with the views of others but thats the point of a forum - to encourage debate

And each and every one of us have posted on a forum when we've had a beer or two and wished we hadn't the next day - it's a badge of honour :lol:

Hope you’ve got a few dollars saved Rudy

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/01/25/politics/dominion-lawsuit-giuliani/index.html

Trump establishes 'Office of the Former President' in Florida

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/535771-trump-establishes-office-of-the-former-president-in-florida

I've been off here 24 hours, what have I missed then? :D

Best meme yet
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzIym0eZsH0

Ebo said:
I've been off here 24 hours, what have I missed then? :D

Tummer is still having a totally normal one, bless.

https://twitter.com/mtumulty/status/1354095856107057152?s=20

Coventry City v Swansea City

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Back