• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

S22/23 The Official Swansea City v Watford FC Championship Match Thread

What will the result be against Watford

• Swans win

Votes: 8 21.6%
  • Draw

Votes: 6 16.2%
  • Watford win

Votes: 23 62.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Well played lads, and about fckn time. Totally different approach from the off. More aggression, more direct and no respect for the opponents.
Now do us all a favour Russ, stop fckn about and insist on that approach every game.

Copamundial said:
Here’s a challenge for you, if you get the chance get a seat at pitch level, you’ll then appreciate how difficult it is to play the way we do.
The idea that the manager wants us to play at a slow tempo is just bizarre,the players themselves have to take some of the blame for that.

For the record I am back row, as far from pitch level as possible,

The slow tempo style is more down to the influence of Martin than it is the players. There was a clear change of mandate this evening, where that’s come from isn’t known. We should assume that Martin changed it rather than players taking matters into their own hands.

The fact that so many of you refuse to give the manager any credit for tonight’s performance says it all really.

Anyway, time for a Horlicks and bed.

Copamundial said:
The fact that so many of you refuse to give the manager any credit for tonight’s performance says it all really.

It's a bit like you blaming the Reading defeat on the players and nothing to do with Martin, right?

Edit: As it happens, I do give him credit for changing the system tonight and empowering the players to give that kind of performance (like another poster above, I choose to believe the change in play came from him and not the players). What I'd like to see now is him sticking to what works a fair amount of the time as opposed to his beloved Martinball, which works very rarely.

Copamundial said:

Probably for the best, night, night.😉👍

Copamundial said:

See the last sentence of my post above yours. The change seen tonight is surely down to Martin, it started with a formation change after all. Above all else and the debates about this evening, what’s more important is whether he’s learned anything from tonight’s experience. Reverting to type against Burnley would surely be the wrong thing to do.

We’ve got a good team but hell we’ve squandered some points this season. Martin for me is an enigma. It’s like he only plays to player’s strengths when it’s last chance saloon. Man management skills seem to be all over the place but we’re told there’s a great team spirit and Grimes is learning every day. Anyway we’ve won 4-0 and a fist pump to all you Jack Bastards from me for tomorrow night.

Cooperman said:
See the last sentence of my post above yours. The change seen tonight is surely down to Martin, it started with a formation change after all. Above all else and the debates about this evening, what’s more important is whether he’s learned anything from tonight’s experience. Reverting to type against Burnley would surely be the wrong thing to do.

If he plays Lati at full back against Burnley, they'll destroy us like they did earlier in the season. His lack of pace was cruelly exposed and contributed to at least two goals. Which means he probably will, because he doesn't learn.

Pegojack said:
If he plays Lati at full back against Burnley, they'll destroy us like they did earlier in the season. His lack of pace was cruelly exposed and contributed to at least two goals. Which means he probably will, because he doesn't learn.

Speed merchant Naughton is fully rested.

sainthelens said:
Well played lads, and about fckn time. Totally different approach from the off. More aggression, more direct and no respect for the opponents.
Now do us all a favour Russ, stop fckn about and insist on that approach every game.

Totally agree

The midfield did well. Cooper and Cundle protected the full backs.

When Cullen came off, Grimes was allowed to get forward.

The players tackled hard and got booked.

We have been competitive this season but Watford almost scored in the first minute and Benda made some good saves. Fine margins.

Ref was soft and despite his performance we kept playing triangles and intercepting when the ref decided not to over protect Watford's players.

Bring on Burnley.

As expected, when he's under the cosh he changes it around and does what he needs to do to survive.

It's like we are Russell Martin FC and playing to avoid getting him the sack.

JustJack said:
As expected, when he's under the cosh he changes it around and does what he needs to do to survive.

It's like we are Russell Martin FC and playing to avoid getting him the sack.

It's what I've been thinking for a while, and as daft as it sounds, I'm wondering if playing like we did yesterday does he feel that wont attract attention from bigger clubs. By playing the passive possession bore fest, does he feel that that style will ?

Credit where is due for last night's performance but I'm not going to think Martin is our saviour after one good performance out of the last nine.

sainthelens said:
It's what I've been thinking for a while, and as daft as it sounds, I'm wondering if playing like we did yesterday does he feel that wont attract attention from bigger clubs. By playing the passive possession bore fest, does he feel that that style will ?

I’ve said all along - Martin plays this style to get noticed. He’s hoping that a big club will see snippets of our possession play and think that it could work wonders with top-level players.

Part of me genuinely thinks that he’d rather stay in this league playing Martinball rather than get promoted by adapting to our players.

Coventry City v Swansea City

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Back